Travel associated with your attendance to the Mid-Year Conference is covered by your Fulbright grant. Starting in the Fall semester of your grant year, you will receive instructions on how to book your conference travel. Please do not book your travel to the conference on your own or without instructions from the FLTA program staff; otherwise you will not be reimbursed for the cost.
The conference includes presentations by your peer FLTAs and sessions conducted by experts in teaching. Beginning in the Fall semester of your grant, you will receive emails with conference news and directions on a regular basis, including details on different opportunities for you to participate in the conference. It is highly encouraged that you become actively involved. Plus, FLTAs who contribute to the success of the conference receive special recognition.
Here is a list of different ways for you to participate:
Make a presentation: FLTAs will be given an opportunity to submit a proposal to present at the conference. So that you can be ready to start thinking of ideas right when you arrive to your host institution; below are the two presentation topics:
Be on an FLTA planning committee: We will select FLTA committees to help us create a diverse and dynamic group of FLTA presenters and talent show participants. The committees will review the presentation proposals and talent show proposals to determine who will present and perform at the conference.
Volunteer: The conference is a big event and we will need assistance throughout. This includes handing out materials at registration, directing fellow FLTAs to their appropriate sessions, collecting session tickets, and much more.
Organize a cultural booth for the Poster Show: During the conference we will have a Poster Show, where you and fellow FLTAs can set up booths to showcase your home country and host institution. Past exhibits have included displays of traditional dress, artwork, landscape pictures, food, and much more.
**Please note: Detailed instructions on how and when to submit a presentation proposal and sign up to be either a volunteer, committee member, or poster show representative will be sent in the Fall Semester of your grant year. Although we would love to accommodate all requests for participation, we may not be able to depending on the number of people interested in being involved.
For a detailed account of the FLTA Mid-Year conference program from a former FLTA’s perspective, Click Here!
Here is a brief breakdown of financial considerations for the conference so you’ll know what is covered by Fulbright and what you’ll have to pay for with your own funds.
Expenses Covered by Fulbright for the Conference
Your Fulbright grant covers the expenses directly related to your attendance of the conference. This includes:
- Travel to the conference for the dates of the conference
- An allowance to cover the cost of the meals not provided for the group during the dates of the conference and other minor incidentals related to your attendance
- Your hotel room for the dates of the conference
Expenses NOT Covered by Fulbright for the Conference
Your Fulbright grant will NOT cover anything not related to your attendance. Please use personal expenses for the following:
- Personal travel not related to the conference
- The cost of changing a flight that has already been booked and purchased for the conference (This also includes flight changes due to weather delays or cancellations). In this case, you will be instructed to contact the airline directly and make your own arrangements
- The cost to check luggage
- Any room costs outside the dates of the conference
- Any meal costs outside the dates of the conference or beyond the allotted amount in the allowance
- Room service or meals at hotel restaurants
- Hotel phone calls
- Hotel movies and paid television programming
- Hotel mini bar items
- Washington D.C. events, tours, museum entrance fees